Monday, January 14

Flax-Seed Fixation

Anything you can do to get more fiber in your diet! It's like sprinkles on ice cream :) only flax seed in your oatmeal, pancakes, yogurt, farina and Banana Nut Bread! I had this delicious banana nut bread at my friend Caitlin's house in which she said her mom substituted Flax Seed for half of the olive oil needed in the mix so I decided to go on a Banana Nut Bread baking spree to see if this really worked.

I have a feeling there will be more then one trial and figured I'd bring you all along with me.

The ingredients I used were:
- 1 1/2 C AP flour
-1/2 C Wheat Flour
- 1/4 C Olive Oil
- 1/4 C Flax Seed
- 2 Eggs
- 3/4 C Sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Medium Banana's
- 1/2 C chopped pecans

As I was baking, I completely forgot that flax seed in order for it to develop that gel-like consistency you must boil a little water. You'll notice that it will have an oily-gel-feel (which is due to the Omega-3 Fatty Acids in the Flax Seed since they are a polyunsaturated fat, like olive oil, this is why it feels slippery), every flax seed is different but I use Spectrum Essentials Ground Organic Flax-seed.

[Now, I know this because I decided one day that rather then put flax-seed in my oatmeal I tried to drink it...GROSS. This is what you get for being curious.]

So here is the final picture of  the Banana Nut Bread with Flaxseed (but NO water was added). It overall, was semi-moist & will try soaking flax-seed first, texture was a good crunchy and could use more banana as well. Therefore, trial # 2 will include a half more banana and flax seed that was boiled in water then I will let you know how it goes :)

Happy baking,

Love your experimental baker,

Christa

Want to know more about fiber and the many health benefits for your colon go under my up'n coming research section with a summary article from the "Food & Nutrition Magazine" by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I like your sprinkle and icecream analogy. I also agree the more flaxseed in your diet the better! I will have to try that recipe. I just tried Bavarian's flaxseed bread and it was delicious. You should check it out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! It's funny that you comment just now because I am in the process of baking my banana nut bread Trial #2. What I did a little differently was this time boiled 1/2C of water then added 1/2C of Flax-seed and 4TBSP of olive oil. So we'll see what happens. And this Bavarian bread looks interesting, I'm going to look into it more, thanks for the link.

      Delete