Friday, June 21

Children Gettin' Their Move On




Children as I'm sure you know, have A LOT of energy! I've discovered in the past few years between being a swim instructor, a camp counselor and helping out at a children's youth group, children love spending time with adults & love moving. To help the parents out there with a few idea's to getting your children & the family involved in "fun-moving-activities"here are some starters:


1. Encourage kids to jump rope. If they're are older, go "double-dutch" with two ropes or have a Hula Hoop Contest!

2. Take the dog for a brisk walk or  play fetch. No dog? Have kids take their teddy bears for a walk instead. Walking as a family is a good talking time!

3. Give kids colored chalk & create a sidewalk mural. Draw a hopscotch game-to play alone or together. When I was younger I created a road, with driveway intersections, stop signs and rode my tricycle as if I was driving on the road, it occupied me for hours. I also had a little horn & was beeping at all the "traffic" (boy, I sure wish the traffic in my tricycle years were the same as in my car years!)

4. Don't let rainy days put a damper on your fun! Plug in a favorite station on Pandora & dance-dance-dance! And if you want to do some cleaning, dance with a vacuum & use the dust pan broom as a microphone...it's what I do, of course all the blinds are pulled as to not scare the neighbors.

5. Start a "hundred" walking club. Who's first in your family to walk a hundred times up and down the sidewalk or stairs in your house?

6. Play tag ot kickball in the playground, park or backyard.

7. If there's snow, make a snowman, go sledding. Or take the family skating at the ice rink. My family use to do this at least twice a month & the fun memories of wiping out on the ice...ah good memories :)

8. On warm days, go in-line skating, roller skating or ride bikes, or run through the sprinkler "rain." Want a little challenge? Have a family water balloon fight girls vs. boys or every-man for himself.

9. Hike together in a nearby park. Have kids find ten points of natural interest to enjoy as you hike.

10. Host a neighborhood bicycle or scooter wash outside-or a dog wash instead.


Spend time as a family & enjoy the moments you have with one another :) 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sources:
American Dietetic Association Complete Food & Nutrition Guide 4th Edition
By: Roberta Larson Duyff, MS, RD, FADA, CFCS
Copyright: 2012 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics



No comments:

Post a Comment