Wednesday, February 13

It's Getting Chili in Here!


This past weekend was a chili kind of day. We got about 10 inches of snow which meant staying home and having some time to relax in my PJ's, catch up on some homework and cook some real good food. 

After shoveling the snow and playing outside with my dog, Samson, to warm up my insides for the evening, I decided to make some Chili for my family & I for dinner!

I even had some left over for dinner on Monday and packed it for school since I discovered a microwave in my evening class :)

The many times I've made Chili I've discovered a few tips to make it delicious:

-When using a Chili spice the longer it simmers the more flavorful the dish will become (this happens with most spices, the longer they simmer the more the flavors will blend together)
-When simmering Chili's (or meat in general) be sure that the temperature is low so as to not over cook the meat as it tends to become rubbery tasting
-Cinnamon and honey is such a wonderful combination hitting the sweet taste buds 

Homemade Chili

1 1/2 pounds, Ground Turkey
1 can of black beans
1 can of kidney beans
4 Tbsp, olive oil
2 onions, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Green pepper, diced
1 8oz can of diced tomato's
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1/4C Honey
4 Tbsp of Chili
1 Tbsp Paprika
1tsp Garlic Salt
1 tsp of Cinnamon
1/4C Red Wine (optional) recommend a medium-full bodied Merlot
1 tsp Cayenne (optional, if you want spicy)

Directions: 
1. In a large saute pan, saute the onions, green pepper and garlic until they are translucent
2. Add ground turkey and cook all the way through
3. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, chili, cumin, cinnamon, garlic salt, honey and stir well
4. Let it simmer for 10 minutes
5. In a large pot combine all ingredients 
    *If you want to add red wine add it here
6. Cook under a low heat for 3 hours in a large pot half covered

It turned out delicious! The meat wasn't overcooked, the beans held their shape and tender. The combination of sweet, salty and spicy all I could say was "mmmm-mmmm." It hit all the right taste buds! I will post a nutrient analysis soon to see what your getting nutritionally in 1 6oz portion! 

Below is a picture of this tasty meal for your enjoyment :)

   


No comments:

Post a Comment